Tuesday, January 24, 2012

moms

Moms are awesome. Straight up.

There's no doubt about it.


And in my life, I've been blessed to have not one, but several. I know it's nowhere near Mother's Day, but I just feel like sharing...
Of course, there's my real mommy. No one can replace her. She's one of the strongest and most able women I know. She's always explained everything to me; none of that "because I told you so" crap. She's good at English. She knows and can keep track of all my friends. She's really hard to give gifts to. She hates the dentist as much as I do. I admire her so much. I just wish she knew Jesus...!
There's the one I've had since I was young, the only other one who gets to be called "Mommy". The one who has always showered my sister and me with jewelry to indulge her girly gift-giving side, since she never had daughters of her own. She's so loving, so hospitable, so mom-like. This is what a godmother looks like, I guess.
There's the one I had whenever I went to my friend's house/to church, since I was a lone orphan at church. No parents, no sister...I was an honorary family member. I slept over at their house more than any other house outside of my own. She always fed me a lot, too.
There's the one I had when I lived in my first homestay ever, in Argentina. She was really kind and cared for me, but not in an overbearing way. She helped me so much with my Spanish, let me help out in the shop, woke me up on my first day of classes (when I overslept!), yelled at me for baking when she wasn't in the house, told me to grab a scarf on my way out...hehe.
And then there's the one that I have right now. So blessed by the hospitality and warmth and deliciousness I'm receiving day in and day out as I study for my MCAT and prepare to go abroad. Even more blessed that she's also a sister in Christ. Blessed that I can practice Chinese with her.


Man...I got some intense role models to look up to. Thank You, Jesus :)

1 comment:

  1. Je veux... I need to work on my french.

    I want to challenge you with one more mother, the mother of Christ, Mary.
    Just as all these women are mothers for you, so Mary is the mother of Christ and as mother of Christ, our mother as well, we being the Body of Christ.

    And not just in some abstract, intellectual way. She is constantly interceding for us at the foot of God's throne.

    Though she might not speak so much in the gospels, she's always there and steps up when it is her time to.

    As she raised, educated, lived with, and did everything with Christ for his life before his public ministry, she also wants to help form us.

    Hope you're doing well Anna! It's always nice to hear a bit from you :)

    ReplyDelete