Wednesday, September 7, 2011

(secular) student orgs.

I guess I'd never thought too much about the difference between secular student orgs and fellowships like IV, especially after getting to college. Maybe that's because I never really joined any orgs other than IV, except for AED...but that's just like pre-health NHS in its size and lack of intimacy.
Last week, I went to VSA's first meeting, and today, I went to CSA's first meeting. Lots of Asians, (pizza and) egg rolls, semi-fun icebreakers. Not that great or attractive. Plus, you have to pay dues to join these clubs! Call me dumb, but in my mind, that concept harks back to my Bellaire days. What makes people want to join these clubs? I guess just the fact that they have some volunteer events, some social events, and a fundraiser or two. Just people wanting to meet other people with similar interests. The more I type, the more I feel the likelihood rising that these thoughts sound totally inane.
I don't know--after knowing and living the community that is IV (or any true fellowship on campus), I feel like these clubs just don't quite make the cut...at least not for me. There's only so much fun, so much depth that can be reached in a friendship, without Jesus. Jesus makes the difference. And I think for the first time, I'm seeing that in a new light--student orgs.

I'm not sure what to make of these thoughts...just interesting. We may not be nearly as tight as Acts 2 community, but communities with no Jesus really seem so...hollow. So empty. A firsthand look at what is meant by the term "God-shaped hole". God, help me to shine Your light on this campus to everyone I interact with.



You know, it's funny--I feel like all this hopping around (first churches, and now student orgs) is something (that should be) more characteristic of freshman year. I specifically told myself I would cut down on my student life activities this semester to study for my MCAT, yet more than ever before, I'm going to more interest meetings for clubs that I've never been to. Is God directing me otherwise, or am I just losing self-discipline all of a sudden?

No comments:

Post a Comment